Atlantic Technical College has partnered with the City of Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, Broward College and the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance to expand aviation education and training programs in the area. In January 2020, Atlantic Technical College launched the new Avionics Systems Technicians Program with plans to offer a second cohort in the fall and additional aviation training pathways in the future.
Additionally, Atlantic Technical College is spearheading the development of a Repairperson apprenticeship program to help FXE tenants grow their own talent pipeline. Atlantic Technical College is committed to addressing the aviation workforce skills gap by preparing the future generation of aviation professionals.
The avionics program is delivered at Atlantic Technical College with hands on learning experience at FXE through business partners and an articulation agreement with Broward College to support further training. The Avionics program is fully enrolled with a waiting list. Planning is ongoing to expand the avionics enrollment for next year and to explore offering additional program tracks.
- Florida ranks second among states in the number of aviation and aerospace businesses
- Broward County is home to 844 aviation related businesses
- Aviation jobs in Broward County are expected to increase 23% by 2025, representing 3,794 jobs
- Broward County’s expected job increase is over two times more than projected increase in Miami-Dade County and almost eight times more than the projected increase in Palm Beach county
- In 2018, 67% of aviation jobs only required a high school degree and 75% did not require prior work experience